Federal Skilled Trades

The Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC), also known as the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), is one of the four programs that you must qualify for before getting into the Express Entry system.

This program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade and it requires either a job offer or a Canadian certificate of qualification.


You must:

  • Meet the minimum language proficiency threshold set by the Minister for proficiency in English or French for each of the four language skill areas.
  • have acquired at least two years of full-time work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in the skilled trade occupation specified in the application for permanent residence during the five years before the date of the application. This work experience must have been acquired after becoming qualified to independently practice that occupation, according to the regulations in place where the work was performed.
  • have met the relevant employment requirements of that skilled trade occupation as set out in the National Occupation Classification (NOC), except for the requirement to obtain a certificate of qualification issued by a competent provincial authority; and
  • have an offer of employment for continuous full-time work for a total period of at least one year from up to two employers in that skilled trade occupation or hold a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade from a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.